UL Environment is proud to offer certification to the NSF/ANSI 140 Sustainable Carpet Assessment Standard for commercial carpets and rugs. This voluntary sustainability standard enables carpet manufacturers to demonstrate their commitment to sustainability through third-party certification and achieve credibility in the marketplace, and with specifiers.
NSF/ANSI 140 was written through a public process by a multi-stakeholder group of manufacturers, suppliers, regulatory agencies, customers, end users, academia and other industry participants. It is based on life cycle assessment principles and offers three levels of achievement: Silver, Gold and Platinum.
The standard is divided into five categories, based on a 114-point scale (plus Innovation):
- Public health and environment – 30 points
- Energy and energy efficiency – 20 points
- Bio-based content, recycled content, EPP materials – 22 points
- Manufacturing – 17 points
- Reclamation and end-of-life management – 25 points
- Innovation* – maximum of 10 points
Certification is awarded when 14 prerequisites are satisfied and the required amount of optional points is achieved.
- Silver – All prerequisites and minimum of 37 points
- Gold – All prerequisites and minimum of 52 points
- Platinum – All prerequisites and minimum of 60 points
Our dedicated, knowledgeable and customer service-oriented team members work closely with participating carpet and rug manufacturers to ensure a smooth and efficient certification process. Once certified, manufacturers can leverage the certification mark to gain marketplace preference and increase the likelihood of product specification.
Certification to this industry-leading standard provides a market-based definition and path to more sustainable carpet through performance requirements for the individual product and the manufacturer.