Landfill Waste Diversion Validation
Many companies and municipalities are working to reduce waste, with the ultimate goal of achieving zero waste. UL can validate a company’s efforts and provide credibility to those efforts with the industry’s first and only standard for zero waste and waste diversion claims.
UL offers three landfill waste diversion claim validations to recognize companies that handle waste in environmentally responsible and innovative ways, from energy production via incineration to reuse, recycling and composting:
- Zero waste to landfill for facilities that consistently achieve a landfill waste diversion rate of 100%
- Virtually zero waste to landfill for facilities that have achieved a landfill diversion rate of 98% or greater
- Landfill waste diversion for facilities that have achieved a landfill diversion rate of greater than or equal to 80%
Each claim validation is clearly defined, carefully reviewed and thoroughly vetted so that businesses and their customers can understand the environmental significance of such a major achievement.
Benefits of operating a zero or low-waste facility include:
- Reduced costs associated with waste disposal
- Reduced reliance on limited landfill space
- Being an environmentally responsible corporate citizen
Facilities that achieve compliance with UL’s Zero Waste procedure are featured by name in UL’s Sustainable Product Guide, and are also entitled to use the UL Environmental Claim Validation (ECV) badge in their promotional and marketing materials, providing extra credibility in the marketplace, and a competitive edge.
UL also offers supportive services to help companies implement and promote their waste reduction claims. We can conduct readiness assessments; develop programs to optimize processes for waste reduction, reuse and recycling; and validate claims for recyclability, recycled content and take-back programs for waste or reclaimed materials.
With UL's ECVs, products come armed with independent third-party confirmation of compliance with various green codes, standards and procurement policies, including the LEED® Green Building Rating System, IgCC, GSA Advantage!®, ASHRAE 189.1 and more. This helps provide visibility while driving marketplace demand.
Listing(s) in the UL Sustainable Product Guide
For more information on the landfill waste diversion claim validation, please call us at +1.888.485.4733.