Building on more than a century of safety science expertise and experience, UL is recognized as a leader in fire safety testing, certification and research. Today, we continue to uphold and advance flammability testing to meet the evolving needs of our customers.
Dedicated to helping protect lives and property, UL applies modern test methods and analyses to help ensure the highest level of safety around the world. Across markets and regions, we work closely with regulatory authorities, manufacturers, insurers, retailers and other partners in the safety community.
UL utilizes recognized testing methods found in our own standards and the standards of organizations such as the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), ASTM International (ASTM) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) to test products for compliance to global standards.
Our technical expertise, testing capabilities and world-class facilities enable UL to be a full-service provider for global and local customers.
We offer the highest level of regulatory acceptance in the industry, market recognition, expertise and service to help manufacturers get safer products to market more quickly.
With more than 21 billion products carrying the UL Mark, UL provides the most visible and reliable confirmation of a product's compliance with national and international requirements.
UL's integrity, independence and leadership in U.S. safety standards development all stand behind the Mark. A dedicated team of fire safety professionals, the widely referenced UL Safety Standards and Directories, world-class facilities and comprehensive services combine to make UL the most prominent and trusted source for the industry.
PRODUCTS THIS SERVICE APPLIES TOFurniture, including mattresses, futons, wall coverings and upholstered furniture; plastics and components; refrigerants; textiles and apparel; flammable gases, vapors and liquids; personal care and beauty; toys and juvenile products.
- ASTM D1230-10 Standard Test Method for Flammability of Apparel Textiles
- ASTM E1232 - 07(2013) Standard Test Method for Temperature Limit of Flammability of Chemicals
- UL 94 Standard for Safety of Flammability of Plastic Materials for Parts in Devices and Appliances testing
- Need assistance
- 16 CFR 1633 – Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets
- 16 CFR 1615 & 1616 - Standard for the Flammability of Clothing Textiles Children’s Sleepwear
- 16 CFR Part 1632 edition 2012 Flammability of Mattress and Mattress pads
- California Technical Bulletin (TB) 117 for foam
- California Technical Bulleting (TB) 133 for public seating
- NFPA 260:2009 Flammability (cigarette test) of components of upholstered furniture
- European Flammability Tests: BS 5852:2006 (UK flammability tests), EN 1021 (Assessment of the ignitability of upholstered furniture), EN 597 (mattresses and upholstered bedding), and ISO 12952 (flammability of bedding)