Air, Water and Structural Mock-up Testing
Architects, contractors, consultants and building owners require performance testing of exterior wall system mock-ups to evaluate air and water resistance and structural integrity. UL works closely with all our customers to assess design, workmanship and material selection prior to job site construction. By testing preconstruction mock-ups, we are able to help customers save costs and time by implementing any necessary changes to design, fabrication and construction procedures prior to construction.
UL offers exterior wall system mock-up testing, providing the expertise, data and information needed to validate designs, workmanship and materials. Our extensive testing services, performed in our laboratories, include testing for air infiltration, water penetration (static and dynamic), structural performance, thermal cycling, interstory movements, static seismic movement, forced entry, impact and cycling, anchor bolts and washer bolts.
Exterior wall systems require considerable time and cost to design, fabricate, construct and test. Mock-ups are a representation of an exterior wall system built to study the construction and installation details, enabling UL to test performance and assess the appearance of an exterior wall system.
Our fenestration experts have the experience to conduct tests across a wide range of conditions and mock-ups. Prior to testing, we can coordinate the dialogue required between specifier and builder/contractor to help assure preconstruction mock-up testing is done correctly.
UL provides mock-up installation oversight and documentation of installation and remedial changes of the preconstruction mockups at appropriate stages of the process. Documentation of important design and installation details are critical for the contractor during the actual construction to help ensure successful implementation of the design.
PRODUCTS THIS SERVICE APPLIES TOCurtain walls, windows, doors, storefronts, exterior wall systems, glazing materials and systems
- AAMA 501.1 - Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Windows, Curtain Walls and Doors Using Dynamic Pressure
- ASTM E 283 – Standard Test Method for Determining Rate of Air Leakage Through Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls, and Doors Under Specified Pressure Differences Across the Specimen
- ASTM E 331 – Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls, and Doors by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference
- ASTM E 330 – Standard Test Method for Structural Performance of Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls, and Doors by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference
- AAMA 501.4 – Recommended Static Test Method for Evaluating Curtain Wall and Storefront Systems Subjected to Seismic and Wind Induced Interstory Drifts
- AAMA 501.5 – Test Method for Thermal Cycling of Exterior Walls
- AAMA 501.6 – Recommended Dynamic Test Method for Determining the Seismic Drift Causing Glass Fallout from a Wall System