Air and Water Field Testing
Air and water field testing, conducted on installed windows and curtain walls, is intended to help ensure the quality of installation, the performance of installed products, and verify compliance with architect and industry specifications. It also identifies the source of water damage and leakage problems in the field through forensic investigations.
UL provides on-site air barrier testing and on-site field testing of windows, curtain walls and storefronts for air leakage resistance, water penetration resistance, and structural and acoustical performance at building sites. This provides owners, contractors, consultants and architects with information needed to assess compliance, risk mitigation and remediation solutions.
Built environment professionals often require field testing of installed windows, curtain walls and storefronts to evaluate air infiltration, air barriers, water penetration, structural loading, acoustical, thermal cycling, condensation and anchor pull-out test performance of installed products to architectural and industry specifications.
For new construction or new fenestration installation, field testing helps ensure proper performance of fenestration products after they have been installed in a building. Field testing provides quality assurance and helps building owners, contractors, consultants and architects feel confident they are meeting contractual obligations.
For existing construction with problematic conditions, air and water field testing can identify the source of problems and provide information necessary to mitigate and remedy problems.
Our fast and accurate professional service is available at any location across the United States and Canada, and can usually be dispatched within 24 hours to a location. UL utilizes fully equipped vans, prepped and ready for on-site testing. We also compile data in real time for quick report turnaround and provide consultation to make sure test results and issues are clearly understood by customers.
PRODUCTS THIS SERVICE APPLIES TOWindows, curtain walls, storefronts, doors, sloped glazing systems, skylights, tubular day lights
- AAMA 501.1 – Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Windows, Curtain Walls and Doors Using Dynamic Pressure (Dynamic Water Testing)
- AAMA 501.2 – Quality Assurance and Diagnostic Water Leakage Field Check of Installed Storefronts, Curtain Walls, and Sloped Glazing Systems (Nozzle Water Testing)
- AAMA 502 – Voluntary Specification for Field Testing of Newly Installed Fenestration Products
- AAMA 503 – Voluntary Specification for Field Testing of Newly Installed Storefronts, Curtain Walls and Sloped Glazing Systems (pressure testing)
- ASTM E 783 – Standard Test Method for Field Measurement of Air Leakage Through Installed Exterior Windows and Doors
- ASTM E 1105 – Standard Test Method for Field Determination of Water Penetration of Installed Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls, by Uniform or Cyclic Static Air Pressure Difference
- AAMA 511 – Voluntary Guideline for Forensic Water Penetration Testing of Fenestration Products
- ASTM E 2128 – Standard Guide for Evaluating Water Leakage of Building Walls